Thursday, May 03, 2007

Starting Off With a Bang

Well, we started off our softball season last night. In the first inning, our leftfielder got knocked in the face with a fly ball, and she left with a rather bloody face. (She's okay.) The sun was nasty in left field, making the ball extremely hard to see. Oh dear.

We ended up losing 8-7 to a pretty decent team, which wasn't too bad considering we played a man (err... person) short for most of the game. I just know that I have lots of room for improvement, going 0-4 at the plate. I had some good hits, but 2 of them were fly balls caught in the outfield, and I "struck out" once on a foul ball up the third base line (in this league, you strike out on a foul). I need to swing a little more level to try and prevent fly balls, and be a little more patient and maybe get walked sometimes. Ah well, softball is always good fun.

4 comments:

Mac Man said...

Yes, it was an interesting game. I was not so hot at the plate either. I did really well in my Sunday league (2 games, batted about .600 with about 6 RBI and a couple of runs scored), but yesterday I went 1 for 5. Perhaps I will be consistently inconsistent this year!

Dana and I have another game tonight in Minnetonka. Well see how that goes...

Mac Man said...

Well, I just got back from my softball game tonight. Not to bad at the plate, I think I was 2 for 3. I played pretty well in left field, except for the gaffe below. Some nice running catches on a couple balls I surprised myself by being able to get to. Go legs, go!

I did make a couple dumb mistakes though. I misjudged a fly ball in left field and it ended up going over my head (those women's softballs carry a bit further than I expected). I also messed up on the base path. I thought there were 2 outs, so on a fly ball to the outfield I was going all out from second hoping they wouldn't catch the ball. Well, they did, and there was only 1 out. Instant and easy double play for them, as I was about 10 feet from home when someone finally told me. Grrrrr!!!!!

I did have one other interesting play. I was on first base, heading to second on a ground ball to short. It was going to be close play, so I slid. I ended up taking out their 2nd base woman, and she went down hard. I heard some boos from the other team (who apparantly thought I did it on purpose). I felt really bad. She was okay and got up after about 10 seconds. She knew I didn't do it on purpose, but I still felt really bad. She later ended up complimenting on my speed on a grounder that I beat out at first, so she must not have too much hatred for me.

Oh, and I hurt my wrist on the play. I guess I deserve that. I had soup with my supper, and had to eat it with my left hand. The poor right hand just couldn't handle the rotation required to get the spoon to my mouth.

I now give your blog back to you...

A. Bauer said...

You're not allowed to get walked in softball....

We beat St. Peter 13-1 in 5 innings tonight....oh how I love the 10-run rule....

Joel said...

Most of the softball teams I have been on have been on the opposite side of the mercy rule. A year or two ago, I seem to remember our team losing 39-1. Ah, I am sure whichever one of us scored that one run is very proud.