Thursday, August 02, 2007

Just Another Evening Commute

I have finished the (very) rough draft of the second chapter of The Lords of Sargoff, but it needs a good bit more detail and tweaking. So maybe I will get that posted next week.

We won our last softball game of the season last night; 8-3 I believe was the score. I went 3-4 batting, with a couple runs. It was good fun. But alas, tis always a little sad when seasons end. The good news, though, is that volleyball is only a few months away. Whooah!

And of course, I must mention this, though you all (I would certainly assume) already know about it. The 35W interstate bridge collapse is one of those things that makes you remember how fragile life is. You can just be driving home from work, driving across a bridge, and fall out of the sky and have your life taken from you in an instant. I am thankful that (as far as I know) none of my friends, family, or coworkers were on that bridge when it collapsed. Though - one of the members of our softball team drove over the bridge within a minute or two of it falling. So it was a close call. That bridge is not part of my daily commute, I just have taken it every couple weeks or so. There is video online of the actual collapse, from a security camera, and it's odd to see it fall like that, knowing that this was no planning bridge demolition. Absolutely crazy.

But, in the end, we can thank God that it wasn't worse. There was a school bus full of children on the bridge at the time, but all children got out safely; their location on the bridge meant they didn't fall as far, and didn't fall into the river itself. There are lots of stories of close calls with people.

1 comment:

Mac Man said...

Softball was good. That was easily the best game we've played all year. Of course my hip is quite sore this morning from popping out of socket. I was a triple away from hitting for the cycle last night, with just one out and a walk as well. Not bad for a gimp, huh?

The bridge thing is crazy. I drove across that bridge every time I went to class at the U these past 2 years. A friend of mine who works downtown and is also pursuing his PHD at the U said he just happened to leave work 15 minutes later than usual, other wise he would have been riding his bike under that bridge around the time it collapsed. He rides under there every day to and from work, which is a little scary to think how close of a call that was just for him.