Monday, April 30, 2007

Career Tweakification

I am moving closer to looking for a new job, and will possibly be posting my resume on Monster shortly. This is for a few different reasons.

1. Job growth. I don't know if this job is going anywhere. I wouldn't mind getting into other things (web development, for instance). At my current job, I have been told that I would be moving into other areas and doing other things, and they even moved me to a different desk so I would be closer to a guy who I would be working with. That was a couple months ago, and nothing has happened yet. This happened last year after my one year review, when I was told that I would be doing a little more ASP (web programming) soon, but I did my first small bit of web programming about a month ago, a little after my two year review. This company seems to be slow at moving forward. When I was first hired, I was told that part of my job description would be data transformation (changing all of our databases from a program called Visual Fox Pro to one called SQL Server). However, over 2 years later, and that hasn't come close to happening yet. Last fall, my boss said that they were hoping it would happen in July. No progress has been made on that front yet. I'm just worried that my company will tell me that my job is going to change and grow, and yet that will never happen.

2. The Money. Of course, finances play a role here. I'm not one of those people that desires to have a lot of money, but finances are still a part of life. My wife and I are hoping to buy a house at some point in the next few years, and both of our cars are getting up there (130,000 and 152,000 miles) and will need to be replaced in the next few years. Also, I am continuing to pay off my massive heap of a student loan. So, while money is not what life is about, having a higher salary would help with these future and ongoing expenses. And, in theory, with two years of experience now, I should be able to get a better paying job. Hopefully.

That being said, it's a weird thought. I do like my job and my coworkers. I am comfortable here. But I don't want to be in a job that's not going anywhere. Anywho, we'll see what happens. I am continuing to pray about this and ask that God shows me where he wants me to be. Maybe that's here still, who knows.

For Reclamation, I'm going to be tweaking a rule or two (especially when it comes to what makes a legal deck) and possibly quite a few of the cards. Card tweaking may be done to strengthen the themes that run between between cards, so they work together better.

I actually played a test game over the weekend, using the cards as they were then. I discovered that (1) the Heaven armies beat up on the Hell armies, (2) the game takes a lot of space and uses a lot of tokens, (3) some cards were overpowered and need to be toned down, (4) some cards were underpowered and need to be strengthed, and (4) battles need to have more unknowns (more cards that players can play from hand, among other possibilities). These are some issues that I need to address. Hopefully I can fix them. It would be a long process to actually get this game to the point where it could be played by the masses.

4 comments:

Mac Man said...

I hear McDonald's will always take us back! Free food! ;-)

Can't wait to try out Reclamation.

And hey, we have our first softball game this week. Let's hope we don't all get benched!

Joel said...

That's right! My current company doesn't offer free food! What's with that?

We'll have to schedule a card night where we can test the game, after I've made the tweaks.

Yay for softball!

Anonymous said...

Yes if the truth be known, in some moments I can phrase that I agree with you, but you may be considering other options.
to the article there is quiet a without question as you did in the decrease delivery of this solicitation www.google.com/ie?as_q=acala video mp3 ripper 2.8.4 ?
I noticed the axiom you have in the offing not used. Or you profit by the dark methods of helping of the resource. I suffer with a week and do necheg

Joel said...

Okay.