Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Slacking Blogger

I've been a slacker lately on blogging, which I know disappoints all of you to great lengths. Well, maybe not, but I can dream anyway. :) Anywho, today deals with my favorite animals in the world - cats.

I am a cat person. Unfortunately, my wife is allergic to them, and thus we do not own one. However, we own a small dog named Ruffles (this is a picture of a Maltese, but not the one and only Ruffles). While I do like dogs, I find them to be vastly inferior to cats in almost every way. This, I know, may seem like blasphemy to some people, but alas. Here is why I like cats more.

1. I was raised with cats. I am used to the way they are, and I am really not too used to dogs. I'm sure some of the following opinions are very much affected by the fact that my family always had cats, but alas, they are my opinions.

2. Going potty. This drives me nuts. I really don't like the fact that you have to let a dog outside to go to the bathroom. We have had to change our schedules sometimes so we wouldn't be gone away from home for too long of a time, because if we did, Ruffles would start using the floor as her bathroom. (Which she does sometimes anyway.) Cleaning out a cat's litter box doesn't bother me at all. You can clean out a little box on your schedule, but you have to be available to let the dog out whenever it needs to go. I find it rather obnoxious.

3. Bark, bark, bark. Malteses are barkers. If Ruffles sees a person walking along the street outside, she barks at them incessantly. If she hears a noise outside, she barks incessantly. She has a loud, high-pitched bark, and when she gets all excited about something, she can bark non-stop for quite some time. Cats are much quieter.

4. Independence. One of the things I like most about cats is their independence. Ruffles is always there, wanting to be your best friend. I know that dogs are "man's best friend," but I actually like it that cats go off and do their own thing, and aren't always in your face. Maybe this is somewhat linked to me being a very independent person. Who knows.

In the 10 months that I've been married, and thus, lived with Ruffles (as she was my wife's dog), my opinion on dogs has decreased more. I know this is due to things I find annoying about Ruffles and are not necessarily applicable to all dogs, but alas. My opinion on dogs will probably go up in the future when we get a bigger and more manly dog of some sorts. Personally, if I was going to choose a dog myself, I'd go with a St. Bernard.

2 comments:

Janet said...

I was raised with dogs, but I think I still prefer cats. You hit the nail on the head with all of your points! However, I still like dogs. Especially my dog :)

Mac Man said...

We could have an all-out rumble if the other Tim finds your post. Quick, hide!

As for me, I like da cats. Never had a pet growing up, but spent enough time with da Coopers to learn to like da cats. It's nice to be able to leave them for a couple days and not have to worry about them.

Plus, Charlie plays fetch, always meets me at the door when I get home, and can open closed doors by pulling on the door handle while pushing on the door. He's a super kitty. Who needs a dog when your cat can do all that and clean up after itself?