Wednesday, December 19, 2007

One Blog Entry to Rule Them All (Not the Maul!)

I now have a 20-chapter outline for The Lords of Sargoff. A good bit of the first five chapters is already written, though it needs to be edited and expanded. I am rather pleased with what I've been able to put together so far. Not that it means this will be any exceptional work of fiction, but it will be good fun to write. It's interesting, trying not to fall into the clichés and just use all of the usual fantasy-type things. Granted, there are wizards and magic, but I've tried to be creative and not make it too similar to other stories. For instance, in the story there is an orb that has exceptional power, but I try not to dwell too much on it. There is no "one orb to rule them all" or other such aspect. Hopefully the story ends up being as original as I hope. :)

If you are so inclined (and who wouldn't be?), you may visit The Cooper Bowl, the little page I put together for tracking how us Coopers (including nearly-3 year old Jenna) did on picking the winners of the bowl games. There are 8 of us total. The site is all database driven; all I need to do is mark the winner of each game to the database, and the page will do the rest. Very exciting. :)

Tonight is our fourth week of volleyball, and our last week before getting split into two leagues and having our records reset. Hopefully we win tonight, but we'll probably end up in the higher of two leagues no matter what. It's good fun no matter what, of course!

LotD: Can You Run It? Runs a diagnostic on your computer and compares it against the minimum specifications for a whole slew of games to see whether it could run it. A pretty nifty little tool.

3 comments:

Mac Man said...

Two things need to be pointed out here. One minor, one major.

1. (Minor) I really am disappointed with your Cooper Bowl Page. Seriously, where's the AJAX? Where are the integrated flash games? Where are the hooks into the major social networks? ;-) What would be cool is to find a page on ESPN or something like that that lists the bowl games and their results. Then you could parse that page's HTML and automatically fill in the winners and losers.

2. (Major) Even little Jenna knows, if you are a Cooper, you pick Ohio State to win. It does not matter who they are playing. But you went against the family. You thought you could do better. It's not about being better, it's about being a Cooper. Shame on you!

Joel said...

Hehe, I should have recruited our web department here to create the Cooper Bowl page, with all the bells and whistles. DANGIT!

I went against the family. Even after becoming a godfather. How could I bring such dishonor to my people? I have disgraced us all!

Except if I win, HAHaahaHaAHahahhHAA!

I mean... Boba!

Mac Man said...

Narf!