Monday, August 18, 2008

My Jedi Training

On Friday night, I went to see Star Wars: The Clone Wars, since it would be crazy for there to be a Star Wars film in existence that I haven't seen. The reviews of it had been rather grim, so I went with rather low expectations. Which, in the end, meant that the movie was about as good as I was expecting. The animation was pretty good for the most part, but the story wasn't too impressive, as they rehashed old plot points, even lifting quotes from other Star Wars movies and seeming to duplicate scenes from the other movies, with different characters. Overall, I thought the movie to basically be a glorified Saturday morning cartoon, and not too much more.

To continue the Star Wars theme, on Saturday, a large group of us (10 adults, 2 children) went to the Star Wars exhibit, which was rather excellent. They had tons of original props from the movies, including ships, costumes and weapons that were actually used in the movies. The had a large model of the Millennium Falcon, probably a good six feet wide, maybe. That ship, along with several others, had amazing levels of detail. My other favorite parts were the original Yoda puppet, (of course) Darth Vader's costume, and the original lightsabers. They had costumes and models for just about all the main characters, minus a few. It was excellent.

LotD: Star Wars TV Series. I'd heard about this around the time Episode III came out, I think. It's live action, but who knows if it'll be any good once it comes out in 2009 or 2010.

1 comment:

DVK said...

I've read that that movie actually was intended a glorified pilot for, you guessed it: a saturday morning cartoon!

I think the Mil. Falcon model was more on the scale of about 4-5', no way it was as big as I was.....

Good times though!

Links for the audience:

http://gallery.me.com/timanderson/100269
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/album.php?aid=148732&id=544195715