Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Lord of Blog Entries

As I have been counseled to do, and makes sense now that the novel is in its later stages, I have removed all downloadable files of The Lords of Sargoff from my online storage. It is best at this point to not allow the full text to be freely distributed online, as that is something publishers would likely frown upon. So, anyone who reads this blog can send me an email if they wish to read the full text. I will still likely post some of it on my website (maybe the first third, I'm not sure yet), but certainly not all of it.

Though I only recently posted the full version, I am already undergoing another read through and round of edits (it'll be a work in progress until a publisher hits the print button). I have continued to work on the dialog to make it more fantasy-like. I have also added another chapter to further develop one of the characters (Lord Arien). It is currently nearing 61,000 words (3,000 more words than when I posted the last version just a couple weeks ago), and I'd like to have it over 62,500 words, which shouldn't be a problem. That is the number at which, with 250 words per page, The Lords of Sargoff would be a 250 page novel, which I think is pretty good, even if it is on the shorter end of novels.

I am very excited to start sending it off to publishers, should the response from anyone who should read it tell me that they feel it to be ready. After this next round of edits is over with, I know my wife will be re-reading it and critiquing it for me. In addition to traditional publishers and literary agents, I have considered submitting it to Tate Publishing. They are a Christian publisher that will take care of pretty much the whole publishing process, but they require an investment (over $4,000, I believe). Authors who sell enough books through them (5,000 copies, I believe) get their investment back. While I am not currently in a position to drop four grand on a book investment, I may submit the manuscript to them anyway, just to get their feedback on whether they liked the story. I will only consider going through them if I am not able to find a traditional publisher or literary agent (who require no investment) to publish it. But any feedback I can get from Tate would most likely be helpful.

LotD: Death Star Over San Francisco. And you thought Star Wars was a myth. It was, of course, a documentary! I found this video while at work, and just watch a few moments of it, without the sound, assuming there is sound. So I have no idea what they're saying, but the video itself was pretty nifty.

2 comments:

Gina Cooper said...

How exciting Joel! I haven't read the rewritten version yet since I like to print it out (I don't like reading novels on a computer). I'll need the copy emailed to me :)

Dr. Richard Tate said...

Joel, I'm Richard Tate of Tate Publishing."call me at 1-888-361-9473 I'd be glad to chat with you about reviewing your manuscript", Even though you might not be able to commit to Tate publishing at this time.

Blessings Richard