Thursday, April 24, 2008

Ye Olde Rustbucket

First off, I have submitted my application for TEC 72, and I ordered the teams as Support, Wheat, and Kitchen. I am already excited, though the application deadline isn't for over a month. :)

My automobile is getting old. For those not in "the know" of my car, it is a 2000 Chevy Cavalier that is coming dangerously close to 175,000 miles. While it is still running just fine, at that mileage, who knows how much it has left in it. And a big repair would finish it off, because the car is simply not worth putting any fair amount of money into.

The newest sign of the car's age is a growing rust spot on the side underneath the passenger door (see image), which had me a little concerned, as I didn't know if that was all of the rust. I looked underneath and I didn't see any other big rusting, so that's good. Next time I take it in for an oil change, I may request that they take a quick look and tell me if there's any serious rust anywhere on the undercarriage. Cause that'd be a bummer. It's been a good car (I've had it for 5 1/2 years and thus far put nearly 127,000 miles on it), and it shall be sad when it goes away. But then again, I (we) get to buy another one then. :)

Double LotD: Warcraft Movie, and rumors concerning a possible Everquest movie. Ah, crazy times we live in. :)

4 comments:

Mac Man said...

My car is also starting to show some rust. You've got me beat on miles (122,000), but I've got you beat on years (1995). Oh, and my air conditioning finally went out over the winter...

DVK said...

I win this one: 1994, 293,000 miles. ;-)

Joel,
Do you have a scale for that rust spot? 5", 2", 12"?! About $10 at an auto store and you could patch that up well enough to at the very least slow, if not stop, the cancer....

Joel said...

Maybe six inches, as a quick estimate. I'll get more accurate later. :)

DVK said...

http://www.essortment.com/all/carrustrepair_rxkf.htm

They make spray-on primer too, thus simplifying things even more. Head to Advance Auto, O'Reilly, AutoZone, Checker, whatever's near you. You can get two small spray cans (primer and paint), and two sanding pads/blocks (medium grit to start, and a finer grit to finish the scrubbing). Pretty simple really.

I need to do it to my Explorer soon too... Maybe we can have a 'de-rusting party'.