Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Undebtification Part One

My wife and I hit a good financial milestone over the weekend when it comes to my student loans. I had both private and federal loans; the federal loans made up about 20% of the total. And we managed to pay it off, which is most excellent. We had only starting paying up on it in the fall, and before then had mostly been doing the minimum payments. We estimate that, should we be able to continue paying up on the private loans at the same rate (which shouldn't be a problem), that we will be out of debt in less than two years, which is very exciting. Then, of course, soon after would come the much bigger debt of a mortgage, but first things first. And hopefully we can get a house before the housing market improves. :)

I found out a little bit of sad news last week at work. Jay, my boss, is leaving the company in early May. He hired me back in 2005, and was mainly responsible for rehiring me in January after I left and was subsequently let go from Priority Publications after a few months. He has been an excellent boss to work for, and he will be missed around here. I can only hope that his replacement (I believe they're hiring from outside the company) is as good, and doesn't have a completely different management style. Jay is rather laid back, and maintains the type of work environment that I feel comfortable with. But alas, we'll see.

LotD: R2D2 Projector. I may have linked to such a product before, but this link is for a video that really shows it off. It is pretty sweet. :)

6 comments:

DVK said...

The housing market is already beginning to rebound - and MPS/STP were never in a true bubble to begin with - you'd better start gearing up now!

GL w/ your new boss. I trust he is leaving on good terms? Opportunity at a new company?

Joel said...

Yeah, he is leaving on good terms. He just felt it was time to move on.

Cheryl said...

The Lord will be with you with a new boss too. :)

Mac Man said...

Hmmm, so it's all your fault? I quote: "was mainly responsible for rehiring me in January after I left and was subsequently let go from Priority Publications after a few months"

:-)

Mac Man said...

Just to clarify, when I first read that sentence, it sounded like he was let go from Priority after rehiring you. Found it a bit amusing, even though the companies would be reversed.

DVK said...

Welcome back, Tim.