Friday, September 07, 2007

The Joys of TEChnology

Well, it's been an interesting day. Throw in the last few hours of yesterday, and it's a rocking good time. :)

(geekspeak)

Basically, my work computer has been on the fritz. This computer was brand-new out-of-the-box when I started work on Tuesday. Thursday afternoon, I restarted the computer, and it booted up, showed the Windows loading logo, and then the screen went black, and I couldn't get any farther than that. With no luck getting it to do anything else, the network administrator here decided to do a system restore, which appeared to work successfully. I even restarted
the computer and everything worked fine. Then I shut down the computer overnight, came back this morning, started it up, and had the same problem again. Sweet, huh?

Well, after another system restore, a Windows repair installation, and finally a clean wipe of the hard drive and a fresh Windows installation, I appear to be up and running. I am currently installing a rather large set of programs (Macromedia Studio and Adobe Creative Suite), which allows me time to blog (that's my theory anyway). Hopefully everything works out all good.

I also now know some of my new job duties. They include (these are not necessarily things I am doing completely yet, but things that - once fully trained in - I will be doing).
-Checking that overnight maintenance (tape back ups, tests) completed correctly
-Doing monthly updates of all computers in the office
-Maintaining and updating laptops that are reserved by employees and taken on business trips
-Maintaining and updating the company website, and possibly, in time, redesigning it
-Creating simple newsletter emails and website for our clients

I also have one other business opportunity. The wife of a man that worked at FLS (my former job) is considering having me design a website for her. It would be neato - good experience, and a little extra money. I don't know for sure if it will happen, so we'll see.

(/geekspeak)

In other non-geek-related news, I got accepted to work the next TEC weekend. I am pretty excited, I actually know people who are working this one - people I met when I worked the TEC in January, and also a couple good friends of mine (Troy B. and Kelly A.) are working. I'm pretty excited.

SUPPORT!

2 comments:

Mac Man said...

There you go, rubbing it in again.... ;-)

A. Bauer said...

Rub-a-dub-dub Timothy! I won't stop until I see that book in my Wheat bag and then I'll feel bad about the whole issue....