Tuesday, September 04, 2007

The Beginning of the Beginning

The first day of my new job went well. I was introduced to a lot of people, was told a lot of stuff (most of which I won't remember), and attended the weekly staff meeting.

At this meeting, they go around the room and everyone gives an update of what they're working on. This is something I'll have to get used to and put up with, because I hate talking in front of people.

There are definitely a few things that I prefer about my job at FLS. Nothing too big at all, but a few minor things. The dress code is a little leaner at FLS (here I wear khakis Monday - Thursday with jeans on Friday; at FLS, I wore jeans everyday). The scheduling is a little stricter here. When I get to the office in the morning, I have to sign in. At the end of the day (and whenever I leave the building for more than 15 minutes), I have to sign out. This is more so they can tell who is in the office and who isn't, but I still find it to be a little silly. :)

They seem to want to enforce the 40-hour work week a lot more. At FLS, things were more flexible. If I had an appointment somewhere, I could just tell my boss about it, and it would be okay to be gone during the middle of the day for a couple hours. Here, not so much. They also basically force you to take an hour lunch. Now I rarely took a lunch break at my old job, I'd just eat at my desk, and I'll probably do the same here. Even if I work through lunch, that "lunch break" is still part of my day. Thus, even though we only technically work 8 hour days, I end up being here 9 hours anyway. Kind of silly.

I know all these things are pretty normal for companies, so I'll get used to them. Every job has its advantages and disadvantages. :)

They track your Internet usage here, or at least kind of. Not that I would surf to any questionable websites anyway, but one of the IT guys showed me the screen that displays what website everone is currently connected to. They also don't want you doing any video or audio streaming, because it affects their bandwidth. So no more listening to RadioU or Pandora. Guess I may have to bring in some CDs or something, since I don't think I'll be able to splurge on an iPod. :)

Everything does seem nice here, and I'll sure they job will be good. It's always a lot to take in near the beginning. Hopefully my mind stops spinning after a couple weeks.

Amid all the new information that has flown into (and out of) my mind today, I forgot what my login password was. I rememebered it was 5 digits long and that it had 2 non-alphabetical characters in it; I remembered what and where those characters were, but I couldn't remember the rest. Silly me. But now I'm all good. :)

It was also the first day for a girl named Shannon, who is an intern, on the design team I believe. Today we went around and talked to the team leaders for a couple different teams and learned about what their teams do and how all the teams work together. Today we talked to design and sales. Later this week, we will be talking to the team leaders for marketing, editorial, and the account executives.

All in all, a perfectly fine day.

I can't believe you read this whole thing. :)

9 comments:

Mac Man said...

Everyone can afford an iPod! I bought one of the iPod refurbished iPod shuffles (512 MB) for $29. They also have the new version of the iPod shuffle (1 GB) for $49. They go in and out of stock since the refurbished ones often sell out pretty quickly, so you have to keep checking if they are out of stock of the one you want (it won't be listed at all if it's out of stock).

Refurbished iPods

A. Bauer said...

I can't believe it's not butter....

Joel said...

...Spray.

Cheryl said...

So glad your first day went well. Dad and I certainly understand changing jobs, leaving friends and learning new things and meeting new people. Don't worry about sharing in the staff meetings. It will be a growing area for you. :) You will do well.
love you lots, Mom

DVK said...

I can't believe I read the whole thing either! ;-)

Glad 'day 1' went well. Hopefully days 2-8492 go well too!

Sadly you're right, that kind of stuff is pretty much 'the norm' - especially the lunch thing. Here is the explanation I got:
"Well, even if people don't take a lunch break we have found that they still eat at their desks, and that takes time". Make of that what you will.

Mac Man said...

Actually, if you grind up your food (stick to solids) before starting work, you could pour it out as a powder on your desk. Then you would slowly inhale it during the day while breathing normally.

No extra time required for eating, and thus no lunch break necessary.

Joel said...

BRILLIANT!

Just don't sneeze!

Mac Man said...

And try not to let your outposts get blown up...

Gina Cooper said...

Congrats on your new job. It does sound like they are a little weird about some things. It sounds like they are stuck in the 1950s or something.