Friday, June 29, 2007

Mountaineering

My dad is a Baptist minister, currently at a church in Ballston Spa, New York. However, just this last weekend, he went to and preached at a church in Morgantown, West Virginia, and has been chosen by the church to be their new pastor. They will be moving sometime between late July and mid August, most likely.

One big difference between this church and my parents' previous churches is that this one doesn't have a parsonage. They've always lived in a parsonage owned by a church, but this time, they're going to be buying a house when they move down there. Crazy stuff. Morgantown is the where West Virginia University is located.

Here's a little more thoughts on Reclamation.

I had an idea the other day. I don't know if it is a good idea or not, so I thought I'd see if I could get some input first. Here's the idea.

When a player wins a battle, they get to decide where the damage wounds go on the losing player's characters. You'd have to follow a couple rules here to make it fair. This includes one rule that is already in place - you have to wound each participating character in a row before you can start wounding characters in rows behind that row. Also, a rule like this would have to be added: Before you can give a character their second wound from a battle's damages, each other participating character must be given at least one wound. Or something to that effect.

I thought this might be a neat thing strategically, as it lets your opponent decide which characters to slowly pick off. It would also (I think) increase the need for one to have healing in your deck.

I also thought that this would prevent a player from quickly killing off their own characters for benefit (from cards like Vengeance of the Lord, that makes a character of yours stronger after a different character of yours has been killed).

It would take rules tweaking, of course. Which method do you think is better? :)

3 comments:

Mac Man said...

Is it just me, or is the drive to visit your parents getting longer and longer everytime they move? Do you think they're trying to tell you something? If they move to France next, you'll know my theory is correct. ;-)

I'm not sure that I personally like the idea of the opponent placing the wounds for me. There are a couple of reasons for this.

1. Only you know what your stretegy is for the game and that particular deck, and letting your opponent decide who to kill off could destroy your strategy early in the game. I think it could also decrease the fun factor, because you have less control over how your deck plays out. Plus, if you've played someone with the same deck before, they'll know who is most critical to kill in your deck.

2. This could add to the current dilema of falling behind in the game. If you're losing, it means you're losing in battles, which means you're taking a lot of wounds. Now if the opponent gets to choose who to wound and kill, it makes it even harder to catch up, because the opponent is probably not going to pick on the weak, non-essential guys.

3. This is similar to #1, but a bit different. You may have combos setup or in progress (not necessarily known to your opponent) that would be much harder to pull off. Think of guys being adjacent to each other for benefits, then being killed by the opponent and losing that benefit. Or a temporary act that you want to play, that suddenly is useless because of the opponent doing something to your guys.

There are certainly good parts to it. In fact, all three of my points above could be reversed in the way you look at them (although I have a hard time convincing myself that #2 below would work).

1. Maybe you want to be able to break up your opponents strategy this way.

2. You might be able to use this to recover from falling behind by selectively killing off the other players characters, although this is tough because it requires catching up enough to start winning battles.

3. Maybe breaking up combos this way is a good thing.

Just my thoughts, I'm sure you'll have different opinions. I think I would look to other ways of introducing randomness or interruptions such as more temporary acts, and leave the wounding to the controlling player. Or, perhaps force the player place a wound in the X row or Y column instead of choosing a particular player. You'd have to limit this as well, but it would at least help make the effects a little less devastating.

Joel said...

The more I had started thinking about it, the more I agree; that game mechanic may not be best, especially because of the falling behind thing. There are already several cards that do direct damage to a character, should one so desire.

Oddly enough, my parents would be about 5 hours closer to Minnesota than they were before. :) Morgantown puts them about 3 1/2 hours or so away from Columbus, so they'll get to see Erik and Gina more often, and should help when it comes to all of us getting together from time to time.

Mac Man said...

What, you mean like when Reuben killed Satan? To me, that's sort of like when Vader choked Obi, except a little more of an upset. ;-)

Strange, I guess West Virginia just sounds farther away than New York, but I guess I really wasn't taking into account where in New York they were and the fact that West Virginia is much further North and West than I was thinking (especially Morgantown). I hear Virginia, I'm thinking southern coast by the Carolinas. Well, then, there goes my theory!