Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Writing About Reading and Reading About Writing

Both my body and my brain need exercise. So, I am going to start biking and reading on a regular basis.

I had been reading Angels and Demons, but found it rather uninteresting, and thus am stopping halfway through. I was then told the details of how it ended by my wife. Now, I will be picking up The Lord of the Rings, finally. About five years ago, I had read The Fellowship of the Ring and about half of The Two Towers, but never finished the series. And, considering I am a big geek and a huge LotR fan, this will soon be rectified. (I will probably read The Hobbit again before the movie comes out in a couple years.) I also might throw in a second reading of Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince before that movie comes out in November.

After Lord of the Rings, I will have a few options, including re-reading Chronicles of Narnia. A few other books on my reading list include Eragon, Wheel of Time, Artemis Fowl, the prequel books for the Left Behind series, and other Lord of the Rings readings (including Children of Hurin, The Silmarillion, among others).

While reading such books, I will continue to go through my Complete Guide to Writing Fantasy and working on Lords of Sargoff. Reading will both be entertaining, and helpful for me when it comes to my own writing.

I will also be biking. I have put on a few extra pounds, and wouldn't mind losing them and then quite a few more. The combination of regular exercise and eating less and healthier should help with that. There is a little trail through the woods near our apartment that I will be biking through. I am hoping to bike a few miles, a few times a week. That's where I'm starting anyway. I also am probably going to combine these two activities (sort of... this does not mean I will be biking and reading at the same time.) :) I can bike the 1.5 or so miles of a loop and end up at a park next to a lake, where I can sit and read for a while, and then take the loop backwards and head home. I think it will be fun. I also know that part of the reason I've been reading less is that I am easily distracted by my computer. :)

LotD: Record Road Trip. Forty-eight states in five days. Impressive.

3 comments:

DVK said...

"(sort of... this does not mean I will be biking and reading at the same time.)" - nuts, beat me to this one.... :-)

Finally reading LotR? At last my shame in you can be put to rest. I recommend the Silmarillion as well. I need to get the Children of Hurin myself (still working on Lost Tales and Unfinished Tales books...).

From what I hear Eragon may be "beneath you" - but I haven't read it personally.

Joel said...

I've heard the same about Eragon, considering it was written by a 15 year old. But alas, it may still be an interesting read, at least.

Mac Man said...

My uncle really liked it, and he's always reading something in the fantasy world. I have it (gift from him actually), but haven't had a chance to start reading it yet.