Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Adventures in Buckeyeland: Part Two

My trip to Ohio was good fun. It is always good to see the family, and to eat Graeter's ice cream. :) The best ice cream in the world.

While I was there, I celebrated my twenty-sixth birthday. My mother and sister-in-law made a chocolate peanut butter cheesecake which was absolutely delicious. And of course, I got presents. :) This included Transformers on DVD (which we then watched about 20 minutes of on my brother's projector screen), and a couple of writing-related books: Christian Writers' Market Guide, which will be more useful when I get closer to looking for a publisher for Lords of Sargoff, and a book which I think will be rather useful right now - The Complete Guide to Writing Fantasy (or some title close to that). It talks about developing fantasy worlds and characters, and magic, and all sorts of other things. I've read the first chapter - a quick history of fantasy, with a list of recommended readings - and will soon be entering the chapter on characters. It should be rather handy.

And, here's some more big birthday news: when I returned from Ohio, my wife gave me my birthday gift, which was actually a birthday + anniversary gift (our two year anniversary is today). And... it was a Nintendo Wii! We'd talked about getting one later in the summer, but I was most pleased to get it now. We don't yet have any games for it (outside of Wii Sports, which is wonderful), but shortly we will be each getting a game we want (for her - Dance Dance Revolution; for me - MarioKart). It's tons of fun! :)

On an anniversary-related note, we are going to the most wonderful restaurant in the world tonight to celebrate: The Cheesecake Factory. And before that, Megan will get her present from me, which, while much less exciting than a Wii, I think she will rather like it - it's a good stack of books (8 of them I think) that she wants to read. (Her favorite genre of novel is becoming fantasy. Ah, geekdom is expanding.)

LotD: The Best of Google Street View. Street View allows you to see street-level images of roads in major cities. It's pretty sweet. This is a small collection of unique images that people have found on it, including a car fire and an airplane flying above the road.

4 comments:

DVK said...

I expect your Wii code soon.

Joel said...

I need to get a wireless router or a USB Ethernet adapter first. :)

DVK said...

Well get on it! :-)


http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=117712¤cy=USD&catalogId=10001&tranId=0&lastAction=setCurr&storeId=10001&languageId=-1&categoryId=62707&ddkey=http:SetCurrencyPreference

Mac Man said...

You can get a wireless router pretty cheap. If you'd bit on one of my free or $10 deals, you'd have one by now! :-) I'll have to check, but I *may* even have an extra one you can have. Don't let me forget.