Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Go Aesculus Glabra!

Go Buckeyes!! On Saturday, the Ohio State Buckeyes defeated the Michigan Wolverines 42-39. It was an excellent game, which my most excellent wife allowed me to watch. :) It was a little too close for comfort at the end, but I was impressed that the Buckeyes were still able to pull out a victory despite giving up three turnovers.

That leads us to the next question... should there be a rematch? The BCS Championship Game is meant to showcase the top two teams in the country. Ohio State is, of course, number one, but the bit question is who is number two? The answer to that is still Michigan, in my opinion, despite their loss. But do they deserve another shot? I don't know. Part of me says yes; if they're still the number two team, they deserve another shot. Then part of me says no; they had their chance. Give someone else (USC most likely) a chance. At this point, it is my opinion that if USC beats Notre Dame (especially in an impressive fashion) that they should be in the championship game. If USC loses, however, I think Michigan should get the call, as Notre Dame should not get it above Michigan when the Wolverines flattened the Irish earlier in the year.

On a purely selfish note, I hope USC gets the championship game bid, as I think Michigan is a better team, and the Wolverines would have a better chance of beating the Buckeyes. And beating the Buckeyes is bad. :)

WARNING: Fast unexpected subject change

I am taking online learning classes at work. They are database classes, dealing with SQL (database programming), database design, and database administration. There are a total of 12 classes. These are self-paced classes from New Horizons. I'm not sure how long it will take to get through them. This is good for a few reasons. In the near future, we will be (hopefully) moving our databases from Visual Fox Pro to Microsoft SQL Server, and I will be needing to write lots more SQL (most of what I've done thus far is in Fox Pro's native language). This will also be a nice resume builder.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, my friend, you fail to see the big picture once again. I'm hoping USC gets trounced by Notre Dame. Never liked USC anyway. Anyway, Notre Dame somehow gets the chance to play THE Ohio state, and Notre Dame of course wins (Go Irish!). That presents this lovely BCS situation:

Michigan beats Notre Dame
Ohio State beats Michigan
Notre Dame beats Ohio State

All three teams would have exactly 1 loss.

And in the end, Notre Dame would be the champion, and everyone who is not an Irish fan is unhappy. But who cares about non-Irish fans anyway? :-)

Of course, maybe the Gophers could play Ohio State again for the championship instead of going to the Insight Bowl. Okay, maybe not...

Enjoy the SQL classes. That knowledge should be a little more portable in the future than Fox Pro. I've had to brush up on SQL myself a bit recently, partly for a database class I took, but also because as part of my master's project I'm converting a windows-only Java app to run cross-platform, and that includes removing Microsoft Access-specific SQL syntax. It's yummy!

Gina Cooper said...

Michigan beats Notre Dame
Ohio State beats Michigan
Notre Dame beats Ohio State
I think this kind of paradox may end the known universe. We shouldn't let it happen - OSU can't lose!
The SQL classes sound fun. Will you receive a certification at the end? I will be so impressed to have a Microsoft Certified brother-in-law :)

Gina Cooper said...

what does " Go Aesculus Glabra!" mean anyway?