Thursday, July 03, 2008

The Thickening Dark

Sounds like a good chapter title for The Lords of Sargoff. Anyway, I've gotten some good work done on the story over the last week or so. It's now sitting at about 54,000 words (216+ pages) and growing. I'm adding in some new adventures and stories. Hopefully for the better. :)

Through my own thinking and reading The Complete Guide to Writing Fantasy, I'm going to be making a couple changes to how the story is written. First off, I'm trying to use language that is more fantasy-like; this goes both with my narration and the dialog. I'm also working on making the language darker, especially as the story moves forward.

Next involves the narrator. The way I'd be writing so far is that the narrator basically only tells what he sees, but doesn't necessarily know a lot himself. Another way to do it is to have an all-knowing, who can explain anything in the universe (I see Tolkien's work as being mostly like this). I'm going to shoot for something in the middle; a narration that knows more than I've written it as so far, but doesn't know everything. Hopefully that didn't completely not make sense. :)

LotD: History of Bad Keyboards. Yikes.

1 comment:

Mac Man said...

When does the movie come out? Is Will Smith going to be in it? ;-)