Tuesday, July 22, 2008

I'm Illiterate

Well, not really. However, the amount of books I've read is relatively low. How many, you ask? Since I know you really want to know, I shall tell you. As far as I can recall, the number of novels I have thus far read in my life is 25. This includes 12 Left Behind books and 7 Harry Potter books. The other six are: The Hobbit; The Fellowship of the Ring (I'm currently halfway through The Two Towers); The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe; To Kill a Mockingbird; Jaws; and Sounder. This list does not include my reading of my own novel-in-progress. :)

My mother urged me to read more as a child, but I rebelliously declined. This was the time she managed to make me get through Jaws. Well, better late than never to start reading a lot.

But, alas. This shall be increasing more in the future. If anyone has any recommendations for me, let me know. Here's a quick recap of my current to-be-read list: Lord of the Rings, Wheel of Time, Eragon, Chronicles of Narnia, and Artemis Fowl.

LotD: Terminator Salvation Teaser Trailer. Now, you would have seen this already had you gone to see The Dark Knight. Tisk-tisk. Christian Bale's involvement in the new Terminator movies has me more interested in them.

8 comments:

DVK said...

Angels and Demons and The DiVinci Code are good. All, the Shannara series by Terry Brooks is excellent. The Silmarillion (Tolkien) is also quite good. When I was little I remember enjoying Red Wall as well...

Joel said...

Oddly enough, as previously reported in the blog :), I read about half of Angels and Demons and thought it was rather uninteresting and stopped. Megan liked the Da Vinci Code much better, so maybe I'll read that at some point.

But other LotR readings are most certainly on my list. :)

DVK said...

DiVinci codes is better than Angels and Demons. I'm due for another reading of LotR myself. I forget: have you read The Hobbit? It might be nice to get that under your belt before the movies come out. There are some good Star Wars novels too - though I've only read a couple myself, you'll have to talk to Tim to get specific titles. I hear the Bible is a good read... ;-)

Joel said...

Dan loses 20 points for forgetting what I wrote in this blog entry. :) Yes, I have read The Hobbit, though I will be re-reading it before the movie.

DVK said...

I knew it was there, but it was too much work to go back... :-)

Mac Man said...

Come over and visit the Anderson library at any time. It's easier to point out good books than to type them all out. You could also use a little variety in your to-read list.

To start you off, Phantom of the Opera is a great read (lots of action, suspense, adventure), and you don't have to listen to any singing!

DVK said...

I highly recommend Dracula (original Brahm Stoker) - an excellent book.

Cheryl said...

Joel, just for your memory, you read many Box Car Children books as a child. They were your favorite. :) We still have quite a few that we bought you!!

I'm glad you are reading more - after all, how can you write a good novel if you don't read any? I remember you watching movies instead of reading books for school. Of course, your English teachers often showed the movie instead of having the class read -- very bad practice for a teacher!!!

Try some classics as The War of the Worlds, short and action filled.

love, Mom :)