Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Moooooolah

Money is annoying. I don't really need or want a lot of it, but I just hate having to deal with it. It's rather obnoxious. But alas, thus is life.

Yesterday, I completed our income tax returns (two months early - much better than last year), and we're getting a decent refund (over $2500). That'll help. No big screen TV for us though, this'll go right into the bank account (and possibly a good chunk of it right into savings). We're trying to save up for future cars (so we can pay cash and take out no more loans) and a house in the next couple years. And we'd like to start paying down my student loans (I'm in debt up to my eyeballs, and a little higher). Ah, the joys.

March brings my 2-year review at FLS Connect, which is (should be) accompanied by a raise. Last year, I got a nice raise (totaling 10%), and I'm hoping this year will also be good. The goodness of this raise will determine my ambition for looking for a new job. I like my job, but it doesn't have much room for advancement. I just wish they'd pay off my student loans. :)

Anyway, tomorrow is Valentine's Day. We decided to have our Valentine's dinner tonight instead of tomorrow, as that will fit in the schedule better (we have a volleyball game tomorrow).

3 comments:

Mac Man said...

Oops, signed in with my wrong Google account at first, so I deleted that post. Here we go again...

Congrats on the tax return. I haven't finished mine yet, but I did get started a couple of weeks ago before getting side-tracked. It was looking pretty good. This is actually the latest I can recall ever waiting. Usually I try to get it done as soon as I have my W2, but I've been pretty busy lately.

Instead of saving your return money, how about buying a couple of these:

http://shop.lego.com/Product/?p=10179

They will bring you peace, joy, and prosperity. Plus, it will give your dog something to chew on.

On a more serious note, I think saving for a car is a great idea. I'm planning on doing the same when my 95 Oldsmobile dies. It just hit 100,000 miles this week (of course I had record it as it rolled over), so it probably only has another 900,000 miles of life left in it.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=543283

Janet said...

Pretty sure I hate dealing with money too... I can't to do my taxes, scratch that, my dad can't do my taxes until I get my W2. I'm still waiting on both of them, actually. Hopefully I get lucky in that department too. Although, I won't buy anything either, it can go to pay off debt, yay :P

Gina Cooper said...

I hope you get a nice raise. Let us know how that turns out. A 10% raise is awesome. Erik did some of our taxes and it will probably be the same as usual - we have to pay some and get some back and it all just evens out :). Happy Valentine's Day. Devry was canceled yesterday and today - hooray!!