Tuesday, June 09, 2009

The Hunt for the Canine

My wife and I have been keeping our eyes open for a dog. A few weeks ago, we put to sleep Ruffles, her 14 year old Maltese that she had had since it was a puppy. We are now looking for another dog, but one that is more a compromise dog, and one that will do fine in an apartment. The apartment technically has a 20 pound limit on dogs, but we've certainly seen may others that are over that limit, and think we could probably stretch it to 30 or 35 pounds.

We have found a few that we thought might work, but a couple of them (Pia the cattle dog and Speckles the blue heeler) are probably too energetic to be in an apartment. We've also considered Sasha the chow chow / keeshond mix.

But we're unlikely to get one of those. One of the breeds of dogs we've found that we think would work is a Shiba Inu (pictured). They've had a few at the humane societies, so we're hoping they get another one at some point.

On a future note, I am looking forward to getting a house and (hopefully) a big outside dog. My two favorite types of dogs are the St. Bernard and Siberian Husky. The humane societies also currently have a very cool Alaskan Malamute.

I am, of course, still a cat person, but my wife is allergic. I have hopes of either a future hypoallergenic cat (when they're not $4000) and/or an outside cat, when we get a house.

2 comments:

Gina Cooper said...

Sorry to hear that Ruffles died. I didn't know you had to put her to sleep. That must have been really hard on Megan especially. Have you seen the white german shepherds? They are really beautiful, look like wolves, and have piercing blue eyes. I am not a dog person so wouldn't get one - but I can appreciate those beautiful dogs!

DVK said...

Good dog choices on your part Joel, but I'm going to have to side with Gina and say that German Shepherds are awesome. They aren't usually very hyper, and are very intelligent. (they're smarter than some people I've met actually...) When we have a larger yard, ideally in the country, I'm hoping to get a GS myself actually. Check out the Wikipedia page, they had some nice pics of the all black and all white breads last time I was there....