Friday, May 01, 2009

Evidently, My Book is Nazi Propaganda

.......well, not really. But I have recently been made aware of something that I had previously not considered when it comes to my fantasy novel, The Lords of Sargoff.

In the book, there is a dark wizard named Lord Arien (pronounced like "Ariel" from The Little Mermaid). It is also pronounced like "Aryan," which is what the Nazis referred to as the "master race." It has been commented that keeping the character with this name may bring up negative connotations and turn off some of the readers, perhaps especially those that are of races targeted by Aryan racism.

So, I'm hoping to get some input on whether you think this is actually an issue, especially from those who have read the book (which is most of you). It seems there are two possible actions to take.

I can, of course, rename the character. On the other hand, part of me sees the similarities between Lord Arien and the Aryan master race. The character is one bent on dominance and power, with very little regard for the lives of others. I could keep the name, because the connection almost fits.

What do you think? Does it even matter?

2 comments:

DVK said...

I say it's just fine the way it is. If attempt to say more I'll end up on soapbox, nearly typing out a novel of my own - so I'll just leave it at that....

Dave said...

This is tough. I didn't notice it, but then again, I know you and know you aren't the least bit racist.

I'd probably think about it this way, what would happen if you leave it unchanged? 1)No one notices/thinks anything about it. 2)People notice and think it's an appropriate comparison. You could then find the novel turning into a racial/political statement. Do you want that? 3)People notice and are offended. I'm assuming you don't want that.

So, are you really attached to the name? Otherwise, if the best thing that could happen is that no one would notice, I'd say you'd probably be better off changing it to something without that possible connection. It could keep things simpler for you.