Thursday, January 08, 2009

Making Less of Me

No, this is not a lesson in humility. Perhaps in a future post. :)

As I've talked about before, I am going to try to lose some weight. I have become more serious about it over the last few months, and am making a New Year's resolution (the first one I've ever made) to crack down on it and stick to it. Here are some steps I am and will be taking, most of which are obvious, but alas:
  • Eat less. This includes, when going out to eat, eating half my meal and saving the other half. I do love leftovers. This also includes not overeating on snacks, as I have often done.
  • Eat better. I have already been eating vegetable-type soups for lunch at work, and I will be making sure my suppers are healthier.
  • Exercise. I will be using the treadmill 3 times each week. I have also started playing volleyball each week, which is a good workout. Trying to add extra walking to my day is also a good thing.
  • Drink more water. I also need to drink less pop. We rarely have pop at home, but I sometimes overdo it when going out to eat or at game and card nights. At home, I drink mostly juice and milk.
  • Get more fiber. I've been eating cereal for breakfast everyday for a year or more, but I've gotten some healthier cereals that are stuffed full of fiber.
I have small goals first, of losing 5 and 10 pounds, but my long term goal is to lose at least 40 pounds, hopefully 50. This will take sticking to a plan and not overeating. If anyone has any other weight loss tips, I'd love to hear them.

LotD: T.W.I.N.K.I.E.S. Project. Tests With Inorganic Noxious Kakes In Extreme Situations.

4 comments:

DVK said...

A goal very similar to my own! I was doing OK until Christmas and New Years came... :-(

Mac Man said...

What worked for me was getting sick (easy to do when your wife works with kids all day). According tobthe Wii Fit I lost 10 pounds in 2 days. Keeping it off is another matter entirely.

Dave said...

Most everything on your list looks great, just stick with it and you should be fine. Becca has decided we need to do more running too, so I've been on the treadmill 3-4 times a week lately as well.

The only real comment I'd make about your listed steps is under the step 'Drink more water.' Drinking more water is good, and drinking less soda is good. Just keep in mind that drinking more juice isn't good. I grew up thinking juice was good for me, but in actuality it really is just another sugary drink. You be better off drinking less juice too, and replacing that with water as well. Also drinking milk is good, but are you drinking skim, 2%or whole milk? Skim milk is the best choice for you.

Other than that it looks good. Keep us posted on your progress! :)

Joel said...

Thanks Dave!

Most of the time, we have 1% milk, as that is what Megan likes. But I did recently start picking up some skim milk to use on my morning cereal instead of the 1%.