Thursday, January 15, 2009

More than a Sound

Music is one of my favorite things in the world. I rather enjoy cranking up the volume and listening to some good hard rock. But music doesn't stop there. Music is not simply the sounds of the instruments. The words of music can hold great value; they can bring you messages of joy and peace and hope.

I listen only to Christian music, with the sole exception being Weird Al Yankovic. I listen only to Christian music because I want the messages of the songs I listen to to be positive and not tainted by a secular worldview. The lyrics of a lot of today's mainstream music flies completely in the face of what we know to be Biblical truth, and yet these are the songs we are choosing to play on the radio so our young children can listen and repeat over and over in their heads. I honestly feel that such music (along with movies and TV) all play into warping our beliefs about morality and Godliness.

Of course, probably due to a desire for success, many Christian bands use lyrics that, while they may not be morally irrehensible, are not always openly and obviously Christian. Their message is buried in analogies and subtleties, and it is not always obvious up front that it is a Christian band. They seem to be in the music business solely to provide entertainment, and not to use their talents to further the kingdom of God. While I understand that being "overly Christian" in your lyrics may turn off nonbelievers from listening, I really enjoy it and appreciate it when I hear a song that I really like that I can easily tell the beliefs and message of the band. We should not allow our choice of music to be swayed by the world and what they consider to be popular and true; for the music we listen to should be aligned with the absolute truth of Christ.

I recently purchased my first CD in many years. It is the Fireflight: Unbreakable album, and it is pretty much wonderful. The music is great (rock, but not too hard; no screaming), and the lyrics are obvious in their message. They have quickly become one of my favorite bands, and Unbreakable has become one of my favorite songs.

To finish, here are some pieces of lyrics from the Fireflight album. At some point, I might post some of my more favorite lyrics in general, but for the moment, I'm just really appreciating this album and its message.

God, I want to dream again
Take me where I’ve never been
I want to go there
This time I’m not scared
Now I am unbreakable, it’s unmistakable
No one can touch me
Nothing can stop me
- Unbreakable

Your love, it burns
Away my darkness
You guide me when I’m blind
You are the light
That shines inside me
Showing me I’m
So much more
When I’ve been on a losing streak
Hit so hard I couldn’t speak
But when I hear Your voice it fades away
- Brand New Day

And you want Him, and you need Him
But you act like He’s not there
Yeah, you know that you’re hollow
And something’s missing here
So you push and you pull the hole in your soul
But you can’t make the hunger disappear
- The Hunger

Yesterday I heard Your voice
Whispering through all the noise
I pretended I couldn’t hear You
But You kept on pursuing me
And You began to move in me
And I just couldn’t hide any more
- Go Ahead

And I’m here to stay
Nothing can separate us
And I know, I’m ok
You cradle me gently
Wrapped in your arms.... I’m home
- Wrapped in Your Arms

2 comments:

DVK said...

I'm intigued - hopefully next time we get together I can hear this new band of yours!

I would argue that the less obvious Christian bands are still good since so may people out there are basically "anti-religious". Hopefully if they hear some of that music it can at least plant a seed - and I'm thinking at least a few of the bands out thee are doing it this way on purpose (as opposed to "selling out" and performing for entertainments sake only).

Still, it is nice for the rest of us when a song's intent is obvious right up front!

Mac Man said...

I've had Fireflight's first album for over a year, but hadn't realized they had a new one out. Guess I have a new album to check out on iTunes...