Friday, February 18, 2011

Book Notes

I have submitted an order to print out several copies of the manuscript for The Second Shadow, that will be shipped to a few family and friends. I will be picking them up from Fedex later today, and hope to have them in the mail Saturday, or at least Monday. I am certainly excited to see what people think of it as it is now.

I have begun writing the rough draft for my newest endeavor, Queen of Men. The outline currently has 27 chapters, and I am now in the middle of writing chapter 6. I will likely finish the rough draft within a few weeks, and then begins the rather long process of editing, expanding, and polishing. I have no long-term timeline for the work on the book, but I certainly hope it takes me less than three and a half years to get the book ready to be submitted, which is how long I have been working on The Second Shadow.

A few random thoughts: While the story should dictate length, in my mind at least, I am aiming to have this book be around 90,000 words (The Second Shadow is 81,000). I am currently planning this to be a standalone book, and not the first of a series. While I sometimes like the idea of writing a longer series, I think I need to work on and improve my writing and story planning a bit before I take on an extended project like that. The Lords of Sargoff series (of which The Second Shadow is book one) is planned as a trilogy, and likely no more, and I think it will be a while before I tackle something longer than that.

No comments: