Monday, October 27, 2008

The Lords of Querying

Yes, I am a database analyst, and my job includes a lot of querying (structurally), but that is not what I will be talking about here. I'm talking about a query letter for a manuscript. I am hoping, after the election is over, to spend a good chunk of my free time for a few weeks editing The Lords of Sargoff to get it into pristine submission condition. This will likely include at least 3 -4 thorough read-throughs. I still have hopes of submitting it somewhere before the end of the year. I have found 2 literary agents online, that both accept manuscript submissions and a have a blog that discusses helpful topics, such as writing a query letter. I have written the rough draft of such a letter, but will work more on that as well. Here is a snippet of it: a brief description of the book's plot.
For decades, the land of Sargoff has been blanketed by a fear of the unknown powers that once dropped the society into chaos. Dark forces are once more at work, renewing fears and threatening the country as it rebuilds. Then, deep in a cave, the orb of a forgotten lord is found, and the hands of evil once more glow with the powers of dark magic. The Lords of Sargoff is a 70,000 word adult fantasy novel that explores the effects of fear on a society, and questions whether the agents of evil are, in fact, as powerful than the very fear they create.
If anyone would like to read the full manuscript of The Lords of Sargoff (for the first or second time), please let me know and I will send you an (electronic) copy. I would love to have any type of comments or suggestions than anyone has.

LotD: Anatomy of a Good Query Letter. Written by a likely receiver of a future query letter from yours truly.

1 comment:

DVK said...

No one has commented yet so I'm stepping up to the plate (or stepping up to the microphone for you Newsboys fans).

- Looks good
- Good luck!
- I'm still working on my second read through with comments/corrections