Thursday, March 08, 2018

Moving Along

My most recent novel, Broken Gods, has had its first reader, my lovely wife.  It was received mostly positively, with some (constructive) criticism on a few things dealing with the end of the book.  I am now in the middle of a fairly big round of edits, reworking a few different things, and am fairly happy with how things are coming.  Once the edits are done, the wife will likely read it again before it gets sent to the exclusive Cooper Book Club.

The version my wife read was at 106,000 words, and after a bit of editing, the current manuscript is at nearly 116,000 words, and I still have a whole extra chapter to write for it.  With that chapter (putting the book at 48 total) and extra edits, I would guess I would end up around 120,000 words.  Much more than that and it starts getting to be considered too long for first time authors, and I'll have to look into cutting it down a little.  I'd likely cap it around 124,000.  So we'll see.

Other than that, life is not too exciting.  We are going on a road trip with my brother Erik and their family in June, travelling from the Grand Canyon up to Yellowstone, ending up in Colorado for a cousins get together.  It should be good fun.  The wife and I will quite possibly also be taking a trip somewhere else later in the year, possibly to San Diego.  There are also plans to go back to Europe in 2019, going up into Scotland, as our first trip there didn't get us any farther than Edinburgh.  We may visit London again as well.  But that's a while away.

No comments: